Saturday, April 7, 2012

The beginning of my adventure!


Greetings from J’burg (Johannesburg).  I’m sitting in my three hour layover in anticipation to get onto my plane to get to Port Elizabeth.  The flight wasn’t too bad.  I had a seven hour flight to Dakar (I watched New Years Eve) and then stayed on the airplane as others exited and new people entered.  From Dakar I had another seven hours to J’Burg, where I slept a majority of the time, minus the two hours where I watched the newest Twilight.

Getting off the aircraft and trying to figure out where I was supposed to go next was very stressful.  I couldn’t rely on others because I didn’t know anyone going to PE.  I had to wait in line to get my passport stamped, get my bags, RE-check my bags (didn’t really understand that part) and then find my gate.  Thankfully, I must have had the ‘I’ve never been here before and am confused’ look because a kind gentleman who worked at the airport helped me with my checked bags and led me to the right place.  I gave him $10, which in Ran (South Africa currency) is a little more than a dollar.  I should have given him more… :/

After determining my gate, I went to grab food at Wimpys.  I asked the employees what is customary gratuity and here it is 10%.  With a bill of 45.50R, so I gave him 5R.  Here are the pictures of my first South African meal!


Also, it’s not 8:15 at night here; they use military time.  I’ve found myself counting on my fingers more than I really should be.  Trying to figure out not only what time it is here in military time, as well as what time it is back in America, AS well as figuring out currency is really stressful.  I must be on my A-Game.
About to board my plane when to the wildest thing happened: I met a famous actress from South Africa!  I couldn’t understand what show she was on, but she’s been on the show since 2003, and the show’s on every day.  When I was talking to her, I could see people all around her pointing, mouthing ‘isn’t that…?’ The show is in Afrikkan, but with English subtitles, so I made a note to look for her on channel 2.
I must admit the language barrier isn’t too bad, but it’s enough to make me anxious.  They talk so fast, but I’ve made the conscious decision not to be ashamed to ask them to slow down because I want to understand them!
Tomorrow I will give you a tour of the house I will be staying in for the next two months!

One Love,
South Africa Student Teacher

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the update my darling. Lucky keeps looking for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you need to sign this or else i dont know who it's from... will you please get on FB lol

      Delete