Thursday, May 10, 2012

Grahamstown Germs

well it finally happened: i got sick. After hearing the girls say "i'm all snotty" and "my tonsils are sore," I finally got both.  Going to the chemist was an experience: you tell the person your symptoms and they hand you medicine.  The medicine i got was so yummy; it was like taking candy.  The pills were orange sugar-coated and they looked like skittles... I'm not so sure they're very effective, but after over a dozen small oranges, similar to the Cuties in America, i'm feeling better.  And I got Chicken Noodle soup...glad to know when you're sick it's universal.  I'm hoping to be at my best tomorrow.

I also have been meaning to tell you all of the phrases i've been learning:
"shame" (like "that sounds awful")
"it's a pleasure" after saying thank you
"you must" (like "you should")
"keen" means "are you in?"

the costumer service is also not what it is in America.  "TIA" - This Is Africa

I also have figured out the times here:

"now now" 10+ minutes
"now" 15 minutes
"just now" 4-40 minutes
"soon" hour +

they also say "half past" instead of :30

and the number 1,100 is said "one thousand eleven hundred" instead of in America where it's said "eleven hundred."

Chips are french fries, and samosa's are fried triangular deliciousness. you get them at petrol stations (gas stations) and they're baked fresh daily with the pies.

Smarties are candy coated chocolate pieces, like M&M's but the shell is harder.

 Cheers for now from the future :)

No comments:

Post a Comment